Friday 13 May 2011

01 MAY: WOOD SANDPIPER in College

I visited College Lake with my 3 kids on both 30th April and 1st May, and recorded the following. On 30th, there was a Ringed Plover on view from the Octangonal hide as well as the LRP on its nest. Nearby, a Small Heath was on the gravel track approaching the hide and a 4-spotted Chaser on the lake margin.

On 1st May, I found the WOOD SANDPIPER in company with a Common Sandpiper and a Redshank feeding along the shore of the closest island, while looking from the visitor centre hide. I stepped out to inform some birders viewing from outside to tell them about the Wood Sandpiper, which we found immediately but could not see the Common Sand again. The Wood Sand showed well for the next 10 minutes by which point I had to move on with the children. By the picnic spot, there was a single Grizzled Skipper and another Small Heath (Jason Chapman)

No comments: