Monday 4 April 2011

Incredibly early GROPPER

This morning was cold and breezy so new migrants seemed likely to be thin on the ground. When I heard a brief burst of what sounded like a GRASSHOPPER WARBLER coming from the hedge between the jetty and Cemetery Corner I really doubted my ears given the date. Carrying on along the bank I heard another brief burst, followed by several more bursts then followed several minutes of reeling – which stopped just after 6:30am and I didn’t hear it again before I left that area after 7am.


A quick check suggests this might be the earliest in Herts for a long time - if it isn’t the earliest ever.
Not much else of note: 1 Little Egret, 2 Swallows and c.50 Sand Martins and Willow Warblers in different locations than before. Also c. 20 Siskins in the trees along the no rth-west bank (Roy Hargreaves)

No comments: