Friday 4 December 2009

A drop in temperatures bring first SMEW of year

This morning the juvenile GREATER SCAUP was still on the lagoon to the right of the hide and a vociferous CETTI'S WARBLER was in the reed bed.

The undoubted highlight however was the pair of SMEW that I found. Initially I saw the redhead (presumed female), and phoned David Bilcock to alert him and ask him to put word out - it was quite cold this morning so I figured texting would take me even longer than normal with gloves on. After alerting David I then carried on checking the duck, and trying to relocate the Smew and when I refound it there was a drake with it. When I called David again he was a little concerned until I reassured him that it was only to let him know that there was also a second bird.

There was also a Green Sandpiper on the inlet to the left of the hide and a drake Common Goldeneye about. The water level also appears to be rising fairly quickly at the moment, but fortuntaely these Smew will not be able to swim into the bushes like the last one I found did.

Mike Campbell also texted me about a redhead GOOSANDER at 8:50, but I would think that this bird flew in after I had moved on from the jetty as I would be surprised if I had missed that (Roy Hargreaves)

No comments: